Sunday 10 October 2010

Need to choose (or is it as simple as that?)

A quick post here. I'm enjoying reading John Creswell's book
"qualitative inquiry and research design: choosing among five
approaches" and enjoying it's clear, straightforward approach. Having
scrabbled around at the base of PhD mountain for some time now, I've
realised that pulling my ideas together is more of a challenge than I
thought if might be! To be honest, I love aspects of both narrative,
ethnographic, phenomenological and grounded theory approaches. I know
I want to work with narratives (possibly spoken and visual narratives
of professional identity in multi professional children's services)
but the focus on a type of experience (like professional change) does
lend itself to phenomenology. I also love the idea of gaining an
insight into the dynamics of identity change so see the theory
building approach of grounded theory as potentially useful.

As you can see, I'm confused. Perhaps I can express the research
problem and questions in a way which borrows from a couple of
approaches. I'll berate my supervisor, but do you have any advice -
perhaps you've reached s similar crossroads?

3 comments:

  1. I would comment if I understood it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have to follow the question. The methods are what answers it best. What is your question? Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for taking the time to write this

    ReplyDelete