Monday 25 April 2011

my research in plain english (v1)

Here's a brief post produced from the guilt I feel at not having added to my blog for a while. If there's a pause in my blogging, it's often because I'm still 'processing' something and am living with half formed thoughts. At the minute, my half formed thoughts are about how / if I can use Cultural Historical Activity Theory and Symbolic Interactionism into a useful theory frame. I've previously said something to this effect, but have been (gasp) reading since then - on both perspectives and sociological work which might help me join them together. More of that later. I also have a post brewing about visual research methodology.

For now, as a member of the #phdchat community on twitter, I'd like to add another work in progress: a summary of my research in plain English. I'll provide a link to this post from the #phdchat community wiki for comments and suggestions, in the same way that I'll look at others'.

 My Study

In short, my research is a study into the 'stories' a small group of individuals make to explain changes to the ideas they have about themselves as a member of a professional community in projects, organisations or services that work with children.

I plan to work with a small group of people so I can collect lots of information which I hope will provide a very rich and deep picture of their lives, so I can look at patterns, connections and gain new insights.

My study is based on ideas which suggest people have their own perception of their 'situation' and pick out and use things that are important to them in taking action, including action towards themselves, such as thinking about their professional identity. 

I want to understand what these people's stories (sometimes called narratives, which can also be visual as well as stories told) tell me about how this happens. How do people go about identifying these 'reference points'? - and of most interest to me, how do they use these reference points to do what I call 'identity work'. 

I plan to help people depict 'pictures' of their professional environment as they perceive it - not necessarily the physical surroundings, but anything they seems significant and stands for something (what I will call 'symbolic objects'). This is to help people think about things that might otherwise be difficult to think about. 

My starting point for this study is my own story of professional change, and how I have interacted with my professional environment to understand and reshape who I think I am and how I act. Although it's early stages, I hope to gain some insights into how this 'identity work' is done. I hope to gain an insight into the different 'tools' that I think people have all around them to think and act towards themselves - thinking and action that have very real consequences for how people do their jobs.

That's #1, then!

9 comments:

  1. Very clear, i know exactly what you are doing and why. I am also very interested because my work related to the formation of professional communities in international development and knowledge or 'epistemic' communities so i am particularly interested in the idea of symbolic objects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got the framework very well in place here, but for someone who isn't anywhere near this field (like me), you need to provide a bit more fleshing out and a bit more introduction into why you are doing this. What's the big take-away? What difference does it make to people's lives if you can map out these changes and analyse these stories? Why is your focus on people working with children? You introduce that idea early in your statement and then put it to one side, and I wonder whether it's relevant for the impact of your project on a larger scale.

    I think I'd also like you to use some examples here. You talk about 'reference points' and 'narratives' and 'stories', but I find it quite hard to work out what a 'reference point' would look like, or how you would go about identifying one. Giving a couple of good examples would be really helpful for someone coming from as far outside the field as I am!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am assuming that you will be using ethnographic techniques as part of your data collection? If not, then I read you wrong. If so, what techniques will you use? (TheBluOtter on Twitter)

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds to me like you have a nice idea going here, i suggest narrowing the scope though- "collect lots of information which I hope will provide a very rich and deep picture of their lives" might have you drowning in data :)
    Nonetheless i think I would enjoy reading this. Have you had a look at Sherry Turkle's Evocative objects, things people think with? I think you might enjoy it (would have been enhanced with imagery). ailsa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of these comments are really useful - naturally, I have more detail behind this shorthand attempt, but it's really useful to see what's missing here. Thank you, everyone - I'll keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, I think I'll try a post about my methodological thoughts, as doing this might just sharpen up my thinking. You're right, it's broadly ethnographic but with some adaptations for a study working with individuals narratives. I'm developing a visual 'mapping, making and talking' methodology to 'scaffold' people's production of their stories, so I'll have a go at describing that for feedback. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does sound like it would be an interesting read. I'm not sure I have a lot more to add. I agree with Lizgloyn that some examples of what a 'reference point' might be would be useful. And there's always the suggestion that you should outline how your research 'fits in' and to which field(s) of research.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Caroline - it's those sorts of insights that do really help when one is quite 'close' to it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like what you have written and, if I understand it correctly, the thoughts about how different things impinge on professional (or any other) identity formation. In your final paragraph, where you refer to yourself, a quick example might not go amiss. This would earth your research in the real world, which is where I know you are any way.
    I am also interested in what you have to say about identity formation as this is one of the themes emerging in my work (but it is not the area I am investigating.
    Nice one Ian.

    ReplyDelete